Jan Tobias joined the ULB Cybersecurity Research Center in 2023 as a professor for Embedded Systems Security. He researches topics involving privacy, safety and security of information and communication systems, with particular interest in dependable embedded systems and secure critical ICT infrastructures, and in interdisciplinary research on questions around the responsible and sustainable development and use of ICTs. Jan Tobias is specifically interested in societal aspects of security and privacy in dependable systems, in trusted execution environments, and in security architectures for safety-critical embedded systems.
Before joining ULB, Jan Tobias worked as a research manager at KU Leuven (BE), a researcher at the University of Bamberg (DE), obtained a Ph.D. from the University of York (UK) and worked as a researcher at the University of Applied Sciences in Brandenburg (DE), where I also acquired my Masters degree in Computer Science.
I’m still partially at KU Leuven. Please check https://www.beetzsee.de/agenda.html for my consultation hours at ULB and KU Leuven, or get in touch by email.
- Mühlberg, J. T. (2022). “Sustaining Security and Safety in ICT: A Quest for Terminology, Objectives, and Limits.” In Proceeding of the 8th Workshop on Computing within Limits (LIMITS 2022). doi:10.21428/bf6fb269.58c3a89d
- Alder, F., Van Bulck, J., Piessens, F., & Mühlberg, J. T. (2021). “Aion: Enabling Open Systems through Strong Availability Guarantees for Enclaves.” In CCS ’21. New York, NY, USA: ACM. doi:10.1145/3460120.3484782
- Winderix, H., Mühlberg, J. T., & Piessens, F. (2021). “Compiler-Assisted Hardening of Embedded Software Against Interrupt Latency Side-Channel Attacks.” In EuroS&P ’21 (pp. 667–682). Washington, DC, USA: IEEE. doi:10.1109/EuroSP51992.2021.00050
- Van Bulck, J., Mühlberg, J. T., & Piessens, F. (2017). “VulCAN: Efficient Component Authentication and Software Isolation for Automotive Control Networks.” In ACSAC ’17 (pp. 225–237). New York, NY, USA: ACM. doi:10.1145/3134600.3134623
- Noorman, J., Van Bulck, J., Mühlberg, J. T., Piessens, F., Maene, P., Preneel, B., Verbauwhede, I., et al. (2017). “Sancus 2.0: A Low-Cost Security Architecture for IoT Devices.” ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security (TOPS), 20(3), 7:1–7:33. doi:10.1145/3079763
- Philippaerts, P., Mühlberg, J. T., Penninckx, W., Smans, J., Jacobs, B., & Piessens, F. (2014). “Software Verification with VeriFast: Industrial Case Studies.” Science of Computer Programming (SCP), 82, 77–97. doi:10.1016/j.scico.2013.01.006
Full list of publications: https://www.beetzsee.de/publications.html
PGP Key ID: 0xB229F089D7ED3DF4
Post Address: ULB – CP 165/56, Campus Solbosch, 50 Avenue Franklin Roosevelt, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Office: ULB – Campus Solbosch, 50 Avenue Franklin Roosevelt, Office UA5.218, 1050 Brussels, Belgium (building U, entrance A, same as “Muséum de Zoologie et d’Anthropologie de l’ULB” but on the 5th floor)